But hats off to the Loyola (IL) Ramblers for ensuring a double-digit seed will still be hanging around next week. It’s entirely possible they’ll be the only one. And it’s the 55th anniversary of their only other NCAA Tournament championship this year. Hmm.
(By the way, good piece from USA Today’s Scott Gleeson on why Loyola may be a legitimate threat to reach the Final Four.)
Today, of course, features your hometown heroes being tarred with the supervillain brush as they face the tournament’s One True Cinderella. West Virginia is also in action against their Most Disrespected Rival, with the Big 12 hoping to make up a full quarter of the Sweet Sixteen.
This is your open thread to discuss today’s games. The schedule, with announcer pairings, follows. The game times for the second game at each site are approximate; actual tip will be 30 minutes after the end of the previous site game.
- 11:10am CT, Detroit - East - (2) Purdue Boilermakers vs (10) Butler Bulldogs - CBS, with Ian Eagle, Jim Spanarkel, and Allie LaForce
- 1:40pm CT, Detroit - Midwest - (3) Michigan State Spartans vs (11) Syracuse Orange - CBS with Eagle’s crew
- 4:15pm CT, Charlotte - West - (2) North Carolina Tar Heels vs (7) Texas A&M Aggies - CBS with Jim Nantz, Bill Raftery, Grant Hill, and Tracy Wolfson
- 5:10pm CT, Nashville - South - (2) Cincinnati Bearcats vs (7) Nevada Wolf Pack - TNT with Andrew Catalon, Steve Lappas, and Jamie Erdahl
- 6:10pm CT, San Diego - Midwest - (4) Auburn Tigers vs (5) Clemson Tigers - TBS with Carter Blackburn, Debbie Antonelli, and John Schriffen
- 6:45pm CT, Charlotte - South - (9) Kansas State Wildcats vs (16) UMBC Retrievers - TruTV with Nantz’s crew
- 7:40pm CT, Nashville - West - (1) Xavier Musketeers vs (9) Florida State Seminoles - TNT with Catalon’s crew
- 8:40pm CT, San Diego - East - (5) West Virginia Mountaineers vs (13) Marshall Thundering Herd - TBS with Blackburn’s crew