Jordy Nelson, Jon McGraw, B.J. Finney, Rock Cartwright, Joe Bob Clements, Blake Seiler.
You’ve heard all those names before, they’ve made names for themselves in the NFL or in the D1 coaching ranks. All but one also prepped at Kansas high schools, and were generally overlooked by other large programs. But Bill Snyder and his staff didn’t and the rest is history.
There are plenty more names to add to that list, guys who didn’t make it in the NFL (or whose stories aren’t yet complete), but were All-Big 12 or better during their time at K-State. Guys like Ryan Meuller, Randall Evans, Ian Campbell, and William Powell (All-American KR). Oh, and some dude who just graduated and will hopefully find a future in the NFL — the man, the myth, the legend: Will Geary.
So while National Signing Day 2018 will be mostly about the guys getting scholarships, lets take a look at the high school stars who are currently set on joining K-State as a walk-on, because one (or more) of them could be the next walk-on-to-star story for the Kansas State Wildcats.
The 2018 Walk-Ons
Names in bold have officially signed a PWO offer (as confirmed via Twitter)
- Nick Allen — 6’1” 210lb LB, Overland Park, KS (Blue Valley Southwest) - Hudl highlights
- Jhet Burkhart — 6’1” 205lb LB, Buhler, KS (Buhler) - Hudl highlights
- Phillip Brooks — 5’9” 170lb RB/WR , Lee’s Summit (Lee’s Summit West) - Hudl highlights
- Kirk Coomes — 6’0” 200lb RB/LB, Phillipsburg, KS (Phillipsburg) - Hudl highlights
- Adam Davis — 6’2” 215lb LB/SS, Overland Park, KS (St. Thomas Aquinas) - Hudl highlights
- Mason Dunsmore — 6’2” 195lb WR, Lenexa, KS (St. James Academy) - Hudl highlights
- Carlos Emanuel — 6’5” 305lb OL/DL, Hanover, KS (Hanover) - Hudl highlights
- Hayden Gillum — 6’4” 260lb DT, Plainville, KS (Plainville) - Hudl highlights
- Thomas Helten — 6’4” 190lb WR, Wichita, KS (Bishop Carroll) - Hudl highlights
- Marshall Kellner — 6’4” 290lb OL, De Soto, KS (De Soto) - Hudl highlights
- Tucker Kimball — 6’3” 200lb QB, Osage City, KS (Osage City) - Hudl highlights
- Cameron Key — 5’10” 170lb CB, Shawnee Mission, KS (Bishop Miege) - Hudl higlights
- Jonathan Olsson — 6’5” 270lb DT, Emporia, KS (Emporia) - Hudl highlights
- Nick Orr — 6’5” 280lb DT, Overland Park, KS (Blue Valley North) - Hudl highlights
- Seth Porter — 5’9” 150lb DB/K/P, League City, TX (Clear Springs) - Hudl highlights
If this list holds, it breaks down as follows (based on likely position at K-State):
Defensive Back: 2
Defensive Tackle: 3
Offensive Line: 2
Wide Receiver: 3
There are some big guys in this group, and plenty of guys that would be star recruits at the FCS or D2 schools in the area.