Update: K-State is in.
All the work of the 2017-2018 season comes down to this: a bunch of talking heads. Tonight is the traditionally interminable NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament Selection Show, and here’s everything you need to know.
When: Sunday, March 11 at 5pm CT.
TV: TBS. Not CBS, for those of you used to it being there.
Streaming: NCAA.com and the NCAA March Madness Live app.
Ernie Johnson and Greg Gumbel will anchor the broadcast from Atlanta, joined by Clark Kellogg, Charles Barkley, Seth Davis and Kenny Smith. In New York, Adam Zucker will hold down the fort along with the committee chair Bruce Rasmussen, athletic director at Creighton.
The broadcast will begin with an alphabetical list of the 68 teams which made the field, followed by the bracket reveal. It’s a dumb idea, made worse by the fact that people who just want to see if their team is in will tune out after the first five minutes. But what do we know?
As of 1pm CT on Sunday, the teams which are in due to having won their league’s automatic bids:
- Arizona (Pac-12)
- Bucknell (Patriot)
- Buffalo (Mid-American)
- Cal State-Fullerton (Big West)
- College of Charleston (Colonial)
- Davidson (Atlantic 10)
- Gonzaga (West Coast)
- Iona (Metro Atlantic)
- Kansas (Big 12)
- Kentucky (SEC)
- Lipscomb (Atlantic Sun)
- Long Island-Brooklyn (Northeast)
- Loyola (IL) (Missouri Valley)
- Marshall (Conference USA)
- Maryland-Baltimore County (America East)
- Michigan (Big Ten)
- Montana (Big Sky)
- Murray State (Ohio Valley)
- New Mexico State (Western)
- North Carolina Central (Mid-Eastern)
- North Carolina-Greensboro (Southern)
- Pennsylvania (Ivy)
- Radford (Big South)
- San Diego State (Mountain West)
- South Dakota State (Summit)
- Stephen F. Austin (Southland)
- Texas Southern (Southwestern)
- Villanova (Big East)
- Virginia (ACC)
- Wright State (Horizon)
Two games remain to determine auto-bids after Davidson’s thrilling one-point win over Rhode Island to steal a bid and Kentucky’s SEC win over Tennessee. At halftime, Georgia State leads Texas State by three in the Sun Belt. The final bid will be determined just before the selection show commences as Houston takes on Cincinnati in the American final, starting at 2:30pm on CBS.