For some teams, last Saturday was a stepping stone to greater things. Utah, fueled by its second home win over a ranked team, rocketed to No. 1 in the Bring On The Cats Top 25 Poll. Clemson ascended into the top five. Florida was promoted to the top 10. Iowa rose six spots and Notre Dame four, with both joining the top 10.
In one oddity, Michigan improved by seven spots for the second straight week and Oklahoma State did the same (only by three positions), leaving both the Wolverines and Cowboys tied for No. 10.
For other teams, last Saturday was the continued slide into the apparently persistent mediocrity of the unchallenged undefeated team. Ohio State left the top five and Michigan State nearly fell out of the top 10. Northwestern fell nine spots after an ugly (and) offensive performance. Oklahoma dropped 12. Georgia and USC fell out of the poll entirely.
In another oddity, California actually moved up after a loss at Utah, but the Golden Bears were impressive in defeat.
For the newest poll, scroll down. (Please note: Results do not account for Thursday or Friday night outcomes.)
Bring On The Cats Top 25 Poll — Week 6
|1||4||Utah Utes (3)||5-0 (2-0)||232||4|
|2||3||TCU Horned Frogs (1)||6-0 (3-0)||227||1|
|3||2||Baylor Bears (2)||5-0 (2-0)||212||1|
|4||5||Clemson Tigers (1)||5-0 (2-0)||210||2|
|5||6||LSU Tigers||5-0 (3-0)||205||2|
|6||1||Ohio State Buckeyes (3)||6-0 (2-0)||201||2|
|7||8||Florida Gators||6-0 (4-0)||183||5|
|8||9||Texas A&M Aggies||5-0 (2-0)||176||1|
|9||7||Michigan State Spartans||6-0 (2-0)||175||2|
|10||12||Michigan Wolverines||5-1 (2-0)||151||7|
|10||16||Oklahoma State Cowboys||6-0 (3-0)||151||3|
|12||11||Florida State Seminoles||5-0 (3-0)||135||1|
|13||10||Alabama Crimson Tide||5-1 (2-1)||134||1|
|14||17||Iowa Hawkeyes||6-0 (2-0)||112||6|
|15||14||Notre Dame Fighting Irish||5-1||105||4|
|16||15||Stanford Cardinal||4-1 (3-0)||91||—|
|17||18||UCLA Bruins||4-1 (1-1)||84||4|
|18||13||Ole Miss Rebels||5-1 (2-1)||74||3|
|19||20||Northwestern Wildcats||5-1 (1-1)||71||9|
|20||19||Oklahoma Sooners||4-1 (1-1)||61||12|
|21||23||California Golden Bears||5-1 (2-1)||58||4|
|22||22||Toledo Rockets||5-0 (2-0)||57||2|
|23||27||Memphis Tigers||5-0 (2-0)||42||—|
|24||24||Houston Cougars||6-0 (3-0)||31||6|
|25||26||Temple Owls||5-0 (2-0)||25||1|
|Dropouts: Georgia Bulldogs, USC Trojans|
|Others Receiving Votes: Boise State 23, Duke 12, Pittsburgh 7, Mississippi State 3, Kansas State 1, Texas Tech 1|
As always, your voters are myself, EMAW 4 Ever, Jon Morse, JT VanGilder, Luke Thompson, nugget1224, PurpleBrunette, wildcat00 and KSUEMAW!
There were a few screwy picks this week, so I've decided to launch a new "call-out" feature for readers' amusement.
(Screwy in this case is defined as greatest variance from the group mean/consensus ranking.)
If you like this feature, give me some feedback. (If you're a voter and don't like it, you win infinite tears of sadness.)
- BracketCat — Mississippi at No. 9, Northwestern at No. 10 and California at No. 15
- EMAW 4 Ever — UCLA at No. 14, Florida State at No. 19 and Mississippi at No. 23 (Jon and JT didn't even rank the Rebels)
- Jon Morse — Baylor at No. 22 and UCLA at No. 24 (OK, this one looks better after Thursday night)
- JT VanGilder — Memphis at No. 13, Toledo at No. 14, Michigan at No. 18 and Alabama at No. 21
- KSUEMAW! — Florida at No. 19 and Northwestern at No. 24 (I mean, the Wildcats beat Stanford!)
- Luke Thompson — Iowa at No. 21 and Stanford at No. 20, which looks especially bad after Thursday night (JT voted the Cardinal 20th, as well)
- nugget1224 — Northwestern at No. 24
- PurpleBrunette — California at No. 23
- TheBigE — Northwestern at No. 24
- wildcat00 — California at No. 23