clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Wildcats hit buzzer beater, can't survive in OT

Breanna Lewis hit a tip in at the buzzer to force OT, but the Wildcats fall to end their season.

The season's over, but the building blocks are there for the future.
The season's over, but the building blocks are there for the future.
Peter G. Aiken-USA TODAY Sports

The last time the Kansas St. Wildcats battled the Jayhawks, Kansas State held off a wild comeback against Kansas.

That didn't happen tonight.

Led by Breanna Lewis's 20 points on 8-of-10 shooting, the Wildcats weren't able to keep a 6-point overtime lead and fell to the Jayhawks 87-84 in overtime.

Kansas State led 30-14 with 7:31 remaining in the game, and something changed; they stopped getting stops and allowed the Jayhawks to start hitting shots and then the game was off to the races. They led just 34-31 at halftime. Kindred Wesemann led the Wildcats with 13 points in the first half as she was able to keep the Jayhawks at bay.

The Wildcats continued feeding Lewis in the post; she would later foul out on late in overtime. Katya Leick did her best to help the Wildcats keep their composure. She was 5-of-8 from three-point range, finishing with 17 points.

Defending Leticia Romero was a tough task for the Jayhawks tonight. Somehow, some way, they did it. They limited the freshman phenom to just 4-of-21 shooting. She was involved in other facets of the game, but was really unable to help her team offensively by scoring.

Kansas State started the second half off like the first half, building a 42-33 lead with 17:13 left in regulation. That's when the Jayhawks fought back once gain. Chelsea Gardner scored seven of the 11 points for the Jayhawks during a 11-2 run that left the game tied at 44-44 all with 14;00 remaining.

Lewis tipped in the ball with no time remaining to force overtime at 73-all.

Chelsea Gardner, the Kansas senior, didn't quit, even with four fouls. She found a way to battle down low, play with control and lead the Jayhawks to the victory.

It was a slow start for the Jayhawks. They didn't hit their first shot until the 13:44 mark in the first half.  The Wildcats continued their aggression, getting to the free throw line and kicking it out of the paint for threes.

Leading 82-76 with 2:36 left in overtime, the Jayhawks attacked the rim and the Wildcats had no answer for their aggressiveness. Kansas hit 8-of-9 free throws in the final 150 seconds of the overtime period.

First is was Natalie Knight's and-one opportunity. Then Asya Boyd attacking, getting the and-one situation. They left the knockout blow to the Wildcats when Gardner was able to get to the free throw line and ice the game at 87-84 with 13.3 seconds remaining.

Wesemann's three-point attempt int he waning seconds missed off and the Jayhawks survived to fight another day.

Gardner finished with 29 points on 12-of-24 shooting, including 5-of-5 from the free throw line. CeCe Harper was fantastic for the Jayhawks as well, chipping in 3-of-3 from behind the arc, and 20 points.

Five different starters scored in double figures for the Wildcats.

It was the first overtime game to open the tournament since the inception of the Big 12 Championships (1996).

Of the six overtime games that have happened in the Women's Big 12 Championship, Kansas State has been invovled in four of them.

For the Wildcats, their season comes to and end at 11-18. They were the league's youngest team, and will move forward with a group of really great freshman turning into sophomores. Lewis, Romero, and Wesemann, all freshman, will provide the rock to a solid foundation for Deb Patterson going forward.

Guest correspondent Chuck Chaney writes for Thunder Obsessed and Crimson and Cream Machine, and has been gracious enough to provide us reports live from Oklahoma City. You can follow @OKCChuck on twitter for all your Big 12 Women's Championship coverage.