Note: This entry recaps games played Monday. Tuesday's action will be reported in Sunday's RPI WATCH.
Monday marked the continuance of a nasty Christmas week in which the Big 12's overall profile took it on the chin.
It started with Oklahoma's narrow loss to Washington last Saturday, continued with Texas Tech's 18-point loss to Loyola of Chicago and Kansas' embarrassing beatdown at Temple, and culminated in Stanford's upset of Texas.
This all came at an ill time, even as the Big 12 reached a modern high-water mark with a ridiculous 70 percent of its teams ranked in this week's poll. But it will have no top-10 teams next week, except perhaps Iowa State.
And the jury still is out on Baylor, which struggled greatly in its first effort as a ranked team in 2014-15 against a scrappy Southern team that also gave ISU trouble, and TCU, which dominated in its first game ranked in forever.
As a sort of footnote, Oklahoma bounced back in a big way against Weber State by setting a new Division I record for longest run. A 39-0 run for the Sooners in the first half turned what could have been a close game into a laugher.
Non-conference-wise, Bradley and Southern Utah joined Texas Tech in losing to terrible teams in Las Vegas, while UMKC continued a horrible home losing skid and Purdue lost to the worst opponent yet in its three-game slide.
And just for good measure, Long Beach State lost its second straight road game to a ranked team, this time at St. John's, to fall further below .500. At least we beat all of those other teams. This one will be an anchor for us soon.
Overall Record = 7-4
Big 12 Record = 0-0
Top 50 Record = 0-1
RPI = 124
SOS = 167
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = Texas A&M
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- Southern Utah (2-7, 0-0 Big Sky) | RPI = 315: Loss at Arkansas-Pine Bluff (61-70) in the Las Vegas Classic
- UMKC (4-9, 0-0 WAC) | RPI = 303: Loss to Tennessee Tech (60-81)
- Long Beach State (5-8, 0-0 Big West) | RPI = 55: Loss at No. 17 St. John's (49-66)
- Purdue (8-5, 0-0 Big Ten) | RPI = 143: Loss to Gardner-Webb (84-89)
- No. 3 Arizona (11-0, 0-0 Pac-12) | RPI = 11
- Pittsburgh (8-3, 0-0 ACC) | RPI = 75
- Nebraska-Omaha (6-5, 0-0 Summit League) | RPI = 223
- Tennessee (6-4, 0-0 SEC) | RPI = 72: Win over Mercer (64-54)
- Bradley (4-8, 0-0 Missouri Valley) | RPI = 292: Loss at Arkansas-Little Rock (54-64) in the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic
- Savannah State (3-9, 0-0 MEAC) | RPI = 291
- Texas A&M (7-3, 0-0 SEC) | RPI = 58
- Texas Southern (2-8, 0-0 Southwestern Athletic) | RPI = 136
- Georgia (6-3, 0-0 SEC) | RPI = 24
- Oklahoma State (9-2, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 38
- No. 25 TCU (12-0, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 81: Win over Grambling State (80-36)
- No. 19 Oklahoma (8-3, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 27: Win over Weber State (85-51)
- Texas Tech (9-2, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 132: Loss to Loyola (Ill.) (44-62) in the Las Vegas Classic
- No. 22 Baylor (10-1, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 29: Win over Southern University (70-66)
- No. 12 Iowa State (9-1, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 32
- No. 18 West Virginia (11-1, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 18: Win over Wofford (77-44)
- No. 10 Kansas (9-2, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 2: Loss at Temple (52-77)
- No. 9 Texas (10-1, 0-0 Big 12) | RPI = 21