Our only two opponents in action Sunday both are 15-0 now and ranked in the top three: Duke and Kansas.
The Blue Devils struggled with Maryland a little bit into the second half, but went on a nice run midway through that period to put the Terrapins away.
Meanwhile, Michigan learned, as we all have at some point, that you simply must not let the Jayhawks take you to overtime if you are upset-minded. You have to get the job done in regulation (and/or pray the referee actually calls the foul on the final steal-and-drive of the game).
Giving the fowl extra time simply lets them regroup, foul out your best post players (if they haven't already) and score eight unanswered points to take the lead for good after you lose your composure because you were happy just to make it to overtime. That was the exact script Michigan followed yesterday and it didn't work for them, either.
And in the schadenfreude department, the Wichita St. Shockers just made their NCAA Tournament aspirations much harder by chunking a bunch of free throws, throwing the ball out of bounds when they had the final possession with a chance to tie or take the lead, and watching fellow Missouri Valley unbeaten Missouri State waltz out of Koch Arena with a key, tie-breaking 59-56 victory.
There will be a return trip to Springfield, but for now, you have to pencil in the Bears as the new Valley favorite.
That's crucial, because this still looks like a one-bid league. The Shockers probably were going to have to win Arch Madness anyway, but it's clear now that they're not as head-and-shoulders above the league as everyone was saying three months ago. Kudos to MSU coach Cuonzo Martin, who's only in his second year at the school.
Associated Press Ranking = 17
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 17
Overall Record = 12-4
Big 12 Record = 0-1
RPI = 23
SOS = 23
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = James Madison, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, Washington State
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- James Madison (13-3, 3-1 CAA) | RPI = 63
- Virginia Tech (10-4, 1-1 ACC) | RPI = 61
- Presbyterian (8-9, 2-3 Big South) | RPI = 128
- Gonzaga (11-5, 1-0 WCC) | RPI = 31
No. 1 Duke (15-0, 2-0 ACC) | RPI = 5: Win over Maryland (71-64)
- Texas Southern (5-9, 3-0 SWAC) | RPI = 160
- Emporia State (8-6, 5-3 MIAA*)
- Washington State (12-4, 2-2 Pac-10) | RPI = 59
- Alcorn State (0-13, 0-3 SWAC) | RPI = 298
- Loyola-Chicago (10-7, 1-5 Horizon League) | RPI = 197
Florida (12-3, 1-0 SEC) | RPI = 14
No. 25 UNLV (13-3, 1-1 Mountain West) | RPI = 28
- UMKC (9-7, 2-3 Summit League) | RPI = 210
- North Florida (5-10, 2-2 Atlantic Sun) | RPI = 118
- Savannah State (2-16) | RPI = 297
Oklahoma State (13-2, 1-0 Big 12) | RPI = 36
- Colorado (12-4, 1-0 Big 12) | RPI = 108
- Texas Tech (8-8, 0-1 Big 12) | RPI = 215
- No. 9 Missouri (14-2, 0-1 Big 12) | RPI = 47
- No. 16 Texas A&M (14-1, 1-0 Big 12) | RPI = 25
- Baylor (11-3, 1-0 Big 12) | RPI = 122
- No. 3 Kansas (15-0) | RPI = 1: Win at Michigan (67-60 in overtime)
- Nebraska (13-2, 1-0 Big 12) | RPI = 111
- Iowa State (13-3, 0-1 Big 12) | RPI = 96
- Oklahoma (8-7, 0-1 Big 12) | RPI = 216
- No. 12 Texas (12-3) | RPI = 34