Not too much happened last night, compared to the information overload that was Wednesday night.
Oklahoma finally stopped a five-game losing streak by outlasting Gardner-Webb in Norman. Even as Texas Tech languishes at 5-5 and debates whether to fire its coach before Big 12 play even begins, Oklahoma's hoping to get back to 5-5. Yikes.
In other interesting developments, Florida trailed Kent State late in the first half — at home. But the Gators rallied shortly after halftime to win by a comfortable margin. Billy Donovan has a lot of talent, but there are significant weaknesses up and down the lineup relating to team play on offense and defense. That's a winnable game next week.
Nationally, formerly ranked Temple rushed the court after beating top-10 Georgetown. Clearly, the Hoyas were overrated, right? Oh, wait, it's still December and good teams sometimes lose tough road games. Derp.
And Xavier avenged two consecutive losses to Butler and extended the nation's second-longest home court winning streak (trailing only you-know-who) by canning two free throws with three seconds left in an ugly 51-49 game.
Call me a prick, but how fitting was it to watch Butler lose on a desperation heave that bounced off the rim as the buzzer sounded — again? Chortle.
AP Ranking = 5
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 5
Overall Record = 8-1
RPI = 25
SOS = 76
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = Virginia Tech, Washington State
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- James Madison (6-3, 0-1 CAA) | RPI = 119
- Virginia Tech (4-4, 0-1 ACC) | RPI = 88
- Presbyterian (3-5, 1-1 Big South) | RPI = 116
- Gonzaga (4-4) | RPI = 129
No. 1 Duke (9-0) | RPI = 5
- Texas Southern (1-6) | RPI = 205
- Emporia State (6-3, 3-0 MIAA*)
- Washington State (6-1) | RPI = 96
- Alcorn State (0-8) | RPI = 244
- Loyola Chicago (8-2, 0-2 Horizon League) | RPI = 206
- No. 24 Florida (7-2) | RPI = 10: Win over Kent State (65-52)
- No. 19 UNLV (9-0) | RPI = 13
- UMKC (5-3, 0-2 Summit League) | RPI = 256
- North Florida (4-4, 1-1 Atlantic Sun) | RPI = 121
- Savannah State (1-9) | RPI = 309
- Oklahoma State (8-1) | RPI = 77
- Colorado (5-3) | RPI = 207
- Texas Tech (5-5) | RPI = 193
- No. 11 Missouri (7-1) | RPI = 20
- Texas A&M (8-1) | RPI = 87
- No. 9 Baylor (6-0) | RPI = 34
- No. 4 Kansas (8-0) | RPI = 3
- Nebraska (7-2) | RPI = 131
- Iowa State (7-2) | RPI = 140
Oklahoma (4-5) | RPI = 165: Win over Gardner-Webb (71-58)
- No. 25** Texas (6-2) | RPI = 31