Injuries are piling up and the resultant shuffle in the Week 3 depth chart is slightly confusing, to say the least.
Here's a quick summary of things that have changed since my ROSTER UPDATE last week.
- No. 5 Thomas Ferguson only now is listed as the backup at strong safety behind No. 23 Jarard Milo, even though that's clearly been the case the entire season. Milo is on scholarship now, by the way.
- No. 10 Donny Starks was listed on the participation chart as seeing his first action, but this is where I take that chart with a grain of salt. I doubt the coaches burned yet another true freshman defensive back's redshirt, after doing that already with No. 22 Dante Barnett and No. 33 Morgan Burns.
- No. 12 Ty Zimmerman is out for the North Texas game with an unspecified injury. Look for Ferguson to start next to Milo, rather than for No. 29 Kent Gainous, currently listed as Zimmerman's backup, to burn his redshirt in a fairly meaningless game.
- No. 15 Sam Johnson, No. 26 Cody Harrison, No. 47 William Green and No. 82 Evan Loomis all saw their first action of the season last week.
- No. 18 Andre McDonald is listed on the participation chart as seeing his first action of the season, but other reports had him on the sideline for the whole game. There's no other No. 18 on the roster, so it's hard to see why the confusion arises. More participation chart wackiness...
- No. 32 Roman Fields and No. 38 Mark Krause did not appear after playing against Missouri State.
- No. 55 Cody Whitehair now is the starter at left guard, ahead of the injured No. 50 Nick Puetz, who also did not play after appearing against Missouri State. (Duh.)
- Contrary to my prior report, No. 62 Xavier Gates remains a defensive lineman, not an offensive lineman, according to this week's official roster. That report came from a faulty eyewitness, I guess.
- Obviously, No. 73 Tavon Rooks now is the starter at right tackle, but Whitehair still is listed as his backup, even though functionally, it was No. 65 Matt Kleinsorge last week. Kleinsorge appears to have switched places with Hostrup, in other words. The offensive line shuffle continues.
- The effective backup to Whitehair who saw playing time last week is No. 74 Kason Hostrup, although he's nowhere to be seen on the official depth chart. (Or the participation chart, for that matter, even though he definitely was in the game late. See what I mean about that chart?)
- No. 91 Hakeem Akinola has been removed from the roster, reasons unknown. One guess is that he was not cleared by the NCAA Clearinghouse after all, although there has been no word. Strangely, No. 75 Ellwood Clement, now known not to be arriving until next spring, still remains listed on the roster.