You know, Texas really isn't holding up its part of the bargain in the Chisholm Trail Rivalry.
Don't you have to win a game or two once in a while for it to be a true rivalry?
I barely can remember the last time* we lost to Texas in the regular season in a major men's sport.
Meanwhile, the Cats are racking up quality wins faster than I keep track of them.
That's three signature wins in the last two weeks, if you're keeping score.
Suddenly, that "ugly" top-50 record is looking pretty darn beautiful.
In fact, K-State's resume is markedly better than it was at this point last season. Beating Texas on the road and beating Kansas anywhere will do that for you.
That begs the question: Is this actually a better season than 2009-10? As good as last year's team was, it never beat Kansas and it didn't win a title of any kind.
This year's team is on a hot streak unparalleled in Frank Martin's young career and appears to be one of the two teams that should be favored to win next week's Big 12 Tournament.
Finally, we're seeing the team that was ranked No. 3 to start the season and picked to win the conference.
The latter is unattainable, but a Big 12 Tournament championship and another deep run in the NCAA Tournament would make up for that.
In other Monday night news, Gonzaga crushed an opponent it never should have scheduled and Texas Southern was upset at Alabama State.
Hopefully, the Tigers got the losing out of their system before entering a must-win SWAC Tournament next week.
I guess everything's bigger in Texas, including the unexpected Big Monday upsets. Ba-zing.
*It was Jacob Pullen's freshman year, at home, in the second-ever K-State Proud game.
Associated Press Ranking = 29
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 29
Overall Record = 21-9
Big 12 Record = 9-6
Top 50 Record = 3-6
RPI = 21
SOS = 6
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = Kansas, Missouri, Texas
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = James Madison, Virginia Tech, Gonzaga, Washington State, Baylor, Nebraska (2)
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- James Madison (21-10, 10-8 CAA) | RPI = 73
- Virginia Tech (19-8, 9-5 ACC) | RPI = 54
- Presbyterian (13-18, 7-11 Big South) | RPI = 200
Gonzaga (22-9, 11-3 WCC) | RPI = 66: Win over Cal State Bakersfield (96-49)
No. 4 Duke (26-3, 12-2 ACC) | RPI = 5
Texas Southern (16-11, 14-2 SWAC) | RPI = 163: Loss at Alabama State (48-60)
- Emporia State (15-13, 12-10 MIAA*)
- Washington State (18-10, 8-8 Pac-10) | RPI = 74
- Alcorn State (4-23, 4-13 SWAC) | RPI = 337
- Loyola-Chicago (16-14, 7-11 Horizon League) | RPI = 195
No. 14 Florida (22-6, 11-3 SEC) | RPI = 11
UNLV (22-7, 10-5 Mountain West) | RPI = 26
- UMKC (16-13, 9-9 Summit League) | RPI = 209
- North Florida (13-18, 10-10 Atlantic Sun) | RPI = 170
- Savannah State (10-18) | RPI = 264
Oklahoma State (17-11, 5-9 Big 12) | RPI = 59
Colorado (18-11, 7-7 Big 12) | RPI = 77
- Texas Tech (12-17, 4-10 Big 12) | RPI = 159
No. 22 Missouri (22-7, 8-6 Big 12) | RPI = 28
No. 24 Texas A&M (22-6, 9-5 Big 12) | RPI = 30
- Baylor (18-10, 7-7 Big 12) | RPI = 75
No. 2 Kansas (27-2, 12-2 Big 12) | RPI = 2
- Nebraska (18-10, 6-8 Big 12) | RPI = 80
- Iowa State (15-14, 2-12 Big 12) | RPI = 137
- Oklahoma (12-16, 4-10 Big 12) | RPI = 134
- No. 7 Texas (24-6, 12-3 Big 12) | RPI = 13: Loss to Kansas State (70-75)