Well, Sunday was a happy day for the ol' K-State RPI. Only one of our past or future opponents lost, and that was to another future opponent. Hard to complain about a day like that.
It deserves to be noted that for large sections of the first half, Baylor actually trailed Texas Southern at home. Yes, the same Texas Southern that didn't score a field goal against K-State until the 12-minute mark of the first half.
Baylor eventually pulled the win out, 68-60, halting a three-out-of-four losing streak that knocked them out of one poll and nearly out of the other.
But the Bears' inability to put away a weak SWAC opponent illustrated once again that they have significant weaknesses cropping up at the worst possible time — just before conference play begins.
On a happier note, Kansas and Texas Tech took care of business at home (and in the Red Raiders' case, that's never a certainty, so it's worth celebrating), while Colorado finally won a road game, even if it was against a crappy Cal State Bakersfield team.
Nebraska's home game against North Dakota was postponed — I assume it was weather-related.
Non-conference-wise, Texas Southern's loss was the only blemish.
Duke dispatched Miami effortlessly; Virginia Tech destroyed an inferior team at home; Presbyterian won a third road game, against Navy (which means the Blue Hose fared better than most small nations in the 20th century); and Gonzaga won a road game at Wake Forest.
Granted, the Demon Deacons are terrible, but it's still a nice road win against a BCS team with a decent basketball tradition, and for a Bulldogs team that had a terrible start to the season, it capped a nice close to the non-conference portion of the schedule.
Associated Press Ranking = 17
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 17
Overall Record = 11-3
RPI = 19
SOS = 16
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = James Madison, Virginia Tech, Presbyterian, Gonzaga, Washington State
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- James Madison (10-3, 0-1 CAA) | RPI = 49
Virginia Tech (9-4, 0-1 ACC) | RPI = 59: Win over Mount St. Mary's (99-34)
Presbyterian (7-8, 1-2 Big South) | RPI = 85: Win at Navy (60-58)
Gonzaga (10-5) | RPI = 45: Win at Wake Forest (73-63)
No. 1 Duke (13-0, 1-0 ACC) | RPI = 7: Win over Miami (74-63)
Texas Southern (2-9) | RPI = 157: Loss at No. 23 Baylor (60-68)
- Emporia State (8-4, 5-1 MIAA*)
- Washington State (10-4, 0-2 Pac-10) | RPI = 61
- Alcorn State (0-10) | RPI = 226
- Loyola-Chicago (10-5, 1-3 Horizon League) | RPI = 164
Florida (10-3) | RPI = 16
UNLV (12-2) | RPI = 24
- UMKC (8-6, 1-3 Summit League) | RPI = 247
- North Florida (4-9, 1-1 Atlantic Sun) | RPI = 131
- Savannah State (2-14) | RPI = 320
- Oklahoma State (11-2) | RPI = 41
Colorado (10-4) | RPI = 129: Win at Cal State Bakersfield (85-73)
Texas Tech (7-7) | RPI = 202: Win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (70-55)
- No. 10 Missouri (13-1) | RPI = 30
- No. 18 Texas A&M (12-1) | RPI = 31
- No. 23 Baylor (9-3) | RPI = 147: Win over Texas Southern (68-60)
- No. 3 Kansas (13-0) | RPI = 3: Win over Miami University (83-56)
- Nebraska (10-2) | RPI = 110
- Iowa State (12-2) | RPI = 100
- Oklahoma (7-6) | RPI = 198
- No. 14 Texas (11-2) | RPI = 36