The next day, the USC Trojans he dismembered,
A freshman debut unlike any remembered.
And some read Bracket write, 'fore Josh declared for the draft,
Merry Christmas to all, and I hope some of you laughed!
Clearly, Baylor's loss was our gain (soft of). If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Washington State will enter the top 25 next week. Our win in Pullman looks exponentially more impressive with each passing day.
Now, granted, Baylor's loss diminishes our RPI because so many of our other opponents play the Bears once or twice (or more) this season, but Scott Drew's crew already was sub-100 even before this latest loss. That's what happens when you schedule like a pussy, then lose to the only two decent teams on your non-con schedule.
For our other quality wins, it was a mixed bag on the road. Presbyterian wasn't able to continue its recent success in other people's gyms and lost a tough one to a really good Old Dominion team. But Virginia Tech was able to escape in overtime at St. Bonaventure, which I'm sure has one of those Loyola-like sweat-box gyms.
Finally, Colorado was able to salvage at least some face in Las Vegas by beating Indiana in a consolation game, but Indiana's been so God-awful lately that I'm not sure even that win is worth much. At least the Buffs didn't lose.
Associated Press Ranking = 11
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 11
Overall Record = 10-3
RPI = 9
SOS = 8
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = James Madison, Virginia Tech, Presbyterian, Gonzaga, Washington State
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- James Madison (9-3, 0-1 CAA) | RPI = 78
Virginia Tech (7-4, 0-1 ACC) | RPI = 36: Win at St. Bonaventure (76-68 in overtime)
Presbyterian (6-7, 1-1 Big South) | RPI = 81: Loss at Old Dominion (54-63)
- Gonzaga (7-5) | RPI = 58
No. 1 Duke (11-0) | RPI = 3
- Texas Southern (2-8) | RPI = 173
- Emporia State (7-4, 4-1 MIAA*)
Washington State (10-1) | RPI = 46: Win over No. 15 Baylor (77-71 in the Diamond Head Classic)
- Alcorn State (0-9) | RPI = 244
- Loyola-Chicago (9-4, 0-2 Horizon League) | RPI = 212
No. 20 Florida (9-3) | RPI = 28
UNLV (11-2) | RPI = 13
UMKC (7-5, 0-2 Summit League) | RPI = 255: Loss at No. 11 Kansas State (64-80)
- North Florida (4-7, 1-1 Atlantic Sun) | RPI = 141
- Savannah State (1-13) | RPI = 338
- Oklahoma State (11-1) | RPI = 38
Colorado (8-4) | RPI = 154: Win over Indiana (78-69 in the Las Vegas Classic)
- Texas Tech (6-6) | RPI = 195
- No. 9 Missouri (11-1) | RPI = 29
- No. 25 Texas A&M (11-1) | RPI = 30
- No. 15 Baylor (8-2) | RPI = 131: Loss to Washington State (71-77 in the Diamond Head Classic)
- No. 3 Kansas (11-0) | RPI = 1
- Nebraska (10-2) | RPI = 98
- Iowa State (11-2) | RPI = 110
- Oklahoma (6-6) | RPI = 174
- No. 18 Texas (10-2) | RPI = 26