Well, if last night was a "measuring stick" game, then Duke took that stick and beat the Wildcats with it until they bled.
Oh, well — that's college basketball for you.
No one goes undefeated and no one wins championships in November.
I'm confident Frank Martin will use this experience to make his team much better than it would have been had it not played the defending national champion.
Speaking of bouncing back, Gonzaga did so in fine fashion by winning the consolation game of the CBE Classic against Marquette, preventing what would have been the Bulldogs' first three-game losing streak since 2006.
Colorado also bounced back by trouncing our future opponent, Alcorn State.
I am confident the Cats will do the same to Texas Southern (which lost to hapless Oregon last night) on Friday. In fact, I feel a little sorry for the Tigers having to face this team so soon after such a crushing loss on national television.
Also of interest were the "K-State Invitational," in which James Madison dispatched Presbyterian; Oklahoma's loss in Maui to a Virginia team less than 14 hours removed from giving up a hundred points to Washington; and Missouri's surprisingly close win over a Wyoming team that lost at home to North Florida.
AP Ranking = 4
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 4
Overall Record = 4-1
RPI = 14
SOS = 37
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = James Madison, Virginia Tech
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
James Madison (3-1) | RPI = 76: Win over Presbyterian (65-56 in the CBE Classic)
- Virginia Tech (2-1) | RPI = 78
Presbyterian (1-4) | RPI = 132: Loss to James Madison (56-65 in the CBE Classic)
- No. 22 Gonzaga (3-2) | RPI = 160: Win over Marquette (66-63 in the CBE Classic)
No. 1 Duke (5-0) | RPI = 51: Win over No. 4 Kansas State (82-68 in the CBE Classic)
Texas Southern (1-4) | RPI = 268: Loss at Oregon (52-75)
- Emporia State (2-2*)
Washington State (3-0) | RPI = 273: Win over Portland (84-68)
Alcorn State (0-4) | RPI = 189: Loss at Colorado (51-91)
- Loyola Chicago (6-0) | RPI = 145
- No. 16 Florida (4-1) | RPI = 136: Win over Florida Atlantic (79-66)
- UNLV (3-0) | RPI = 7
- UMKC (3-0) | RPI = 228
North Florida (2-3) | RPI = 61: Win over Prairie View (84-66 in the Cancun Challenge)
- Savannah State (1-5) | RPI = 339
- Oklahoma State (3-0) | RPI = 168
Colorado (2-2) | RPI = 219: Win over Alcorn State (91-51)
Texas Tech (4-1) | RPI = 184: Win over Georgia Southern (103-79 in the South Padre Invitational)
- No. 11 Missouri (3-0) | RPI = 57: Win over Wyoming (72-62 in the Cancun Challenge)
- Texas A&M (3-0) | RPI = 205
- No. 12 Baylor (4-0) | RPI = 68
- No. 6 Kansas (4-0) | RPI = 27: Win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (82-41)
- Nebraska (3-2) | RPI = 266
- Iowa State (4-0) | RPI = 12
Oklahoma (3-2) | RPI = 212: Loss to Virginia (56-74 in the Maui Invitational)
- No. 20 Texas (4-1) | RPI = 30: Win over Sam Houston State (84-50)