There were some interesting developments Saturday that you might not have noticed if you were wrapped up in football all day, like I was.
For instance, James Madison and Presbyterian both boosted our profile with nice road wins. Meanwhile, Loyola Chicago is gaining steam, posting its fifth straight win.
That could be a tricky road game for us next month.
UNLV probably had the most significant victory of the day, outlasting Wisconsin's slow-down game and home-conference refs to net a nice November win.
North Florida had been playing well to this point, but the Ospreys ran into a black-and-gold buzz saw in Columbia.
Missouri forced a school-record 34 turnovers and shut North Florida out for the final eight minutes en route to a 96-58 ass-whooping. Now that's how you finish off an over-matched opponent, Cats.
Savannah State and Colorado each fell on the road in overtime, with the latter being the most notable.
The Buffaloes' host, San Francisco, tied the game in the extra period with 2.4 seconds remaining, then everything turned ugly. CU pulled a Chris Webber by calling a timeout with none left, resulting in two USF technical free throws and the win. As far as I can tell, the Buffs have Alec Burks, Cory Higgins and no one else.
AP Ranking = 3
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 3
Overall Record = 3-0
RPI = 71
SOS = 159
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = James Madison
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
James Madison (1-1) | RPI = 96: Win at The Citadel (74-67)
- No. 22 Virginia Tech (1-1) | RPI = 131
Presbyterian (1-2) | RPI = 166: Win at Eastern Kentucky (67-66)
- No. 11 Gonzaga (2-1) | RPI = 206
- No. 1 Duke (3-0) | RPI = 11
Marquette (4-0) | RPI = 156: Win over South Dakota (82-69)
- Texas Southern (0-3) | RPI = 323
- Emporia State (1-2*)
- Washington State (2-0) | RPI = 176
- Alcorn State (0-3) | RPI = 169
Loyola Chicago (5-0) | RPI = 101: Win at Western Michigan (82-64)
- No. 9 Florida (2-1) | RPI = 108
UNLV (3-0) | RPI = 201: Win over Wisconsin (68-65)
UMKC (3-0) | RPI = 244: Win over Southeast Missouri State (70-62)
North Florida (1-3) | RPI = 111: Loss at No. 15 Missouri (58-96)
Savannah State (1-4) | RPI = 337: Loss at Mount St. Mary's (62-68 in overtime)
- Oklahoma State (2-0) | RPI = 202
Colorado (1-2) | RPI = 157: Loss at San Francisco (81-83 in overtime)
- Texas Tech (2-1) | RPI = 185
- No. 15 Missouri (2-0) | RPI = 15: Win over North Florida (96-58)
- Texas A&M (3-0) | RPI = 170
- No. 17 Baylor (3-0) | RPI = 112
- No. 7 Kansas (3-0) | RPI = 69
- Nebraska (2-2) | RPI = 290
- Iowa State (3-0) | RPI = 52
- Oklahoma (3-0) | RPI = 233
- Texas (3-1) | RPI = 39