For Texas last night, the story was "so close, yet so far." The Longhorns did an exceptional job of hanging with Pittsburgh, but stupid mistakes, selfish shot selection, an inexperienced freshman point guard and the fatigue hangover of Thursday night's overtime affair all conspired to deal Texas a loss.
Nevertheless, the Longhorns served notice that they will be a team with which to be reckoned in Big 12 play, although I imagine they will struggle to beat the better teams in the conference if Tristan Thompson gets in foul trouble.
Meanwhile, Duke and Kansas rolled, while Texas Tech rallied from a 10-point deficit to avoid what would have been a second consecutive embarrassing loss to a smaller in-state school. Nebraska was not nearly as fortunate, however, remaining winless in Puerto Rico.
P.S. If you're waiting for a KICKING THE TIRES post, you can stop waiting. As you might have noticed recently, my enthusiasm for analyzing the football team is waning. The team pretty much it what it is, and if Carson Coffman sees significant playing time today, I'm pretty much going to cease caring until the bowl game.
I know I sound like a little bitch when I say that, but with Gonzaga and possibly Duke right around the corner, I'm in full-on basketball mode at this point. I attribute this as a larger symptom of the meaninglessness of November football for teams who have bowl bids locked up, but no realistic chance of playing for conference or national championships.
AP Ranking = 3
ESPN/USA Today Ranking = 3
Overall Record = 3-0
RPI = 77
SOS = 153
Signature Wins (RPI 1-30) = none
Quality Wins (RPI 31-100) = Presbyterian
Bad Losses (RPI 101 or greater) = none
- James Madison (0-1) | RPI = 101
- No. 22 Virginia Tech (1-1) | RPI = 212
- Presbyterian (0-2) | RPI = 93
- No. 11 Gonzaga (2-1) | RPI = 111
- No. 1 Duke (3-0) | RPI = 1: Win over Colgate (110-58)
- Marquette (3-0) | RPI = 119
- Texas Southern (0-3) | RPI = 316
- Emporia State (1-2*)
- Washington State (2-0) | RPI = 136
- Alcorn State (0-3) | RPI = 77
- Loyola Chicago (4-0) | RPI = 80
- No. 9 Florida (2-1) | RPI = 57
- UNLV (2-0) | RPI = 254
- UMKC (2-0) | RPI = 301
- North Florida (1-2) | RPI = 88
- Savannah State (1-3) | RPI = 327
- Oklahoma State (2-0) | RPI = 255
- Colorado (1-1) | RPI = 170
Texas Tech (2-1) | RPI = 302: Win over Stephen F. Austin (70-58)
- No. 15 Missouri (1-0) | RPI = 345
Texas A&M (3-0) | RPI = 171: Win over Texas A&M-International (77-46)
- No. 17 Baylor (3-0) | RPI = 50
- No. 7 Kansas (3-0) | RPI = 194: Win over North Texas (93-60)
Nebraska (2-2) | RPI = 189: Loss to Davidson (67-70 in the Puerto Rico Tip-Off)
- Iowa State (3-0) | RPI = 85
- Oklahoma (3-0) | RPI = 182
Texas (3-1) | RPI = 24: Loss to No. 5 Pittsburgh (66-68 in the 2K Sports Classic)